Each student will need an index card, at least 4”x 6” or larger, and a pencil. Follow the procedure below:
- Introduce the word in a meaningful context. All students should hear/see the same context to begin with.
- Write the word and definition on the board for students to copy in the upper left hand corner of the index card.
- Together as a group, restate or explain the word in the upper right hand corner. Students can also use their own words, depending on level of proficiency.
- Work together to create a visual representation- students can use the same one or create their own that makes more sense to them. This goes in the bottom left.
- Finally, talk about ways that the word connects to their own personal understanding or experience. Students should fill in personal connections in the lower right corner.
|Front of card|
|Back of card|